Sustainability is a concept which means meeting our own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own. It recognises that the environment is an exhaustible resource so it is important to rationally use its resources and protect it for our sake and the sake of our children.
In today’s technologically modern times, the construction of sustainable buildings and eco-friendly homes are on the rise. People, especially millennials, push for their homes to be built to be as self-sufficient as possible, opting to utilise natural resources such as light, wind, and water in hopes of significantly lowering their carbon footprint.
6 Benefits of Having a Sustainable Home
Cost-Effective - You can benefit from lower energy costs with sustainable homes, while fewer resources are consumed in the environment to satisfy energy demands. Since the construction methods will be centered towards ensuring the efficient use of water and energy, it makes sense that operating costs of sustainable homes are reduced.
1. Energy efficient - As a homeowner, your costs will be significantly reduced and there will be a decrease in heating and cooling requirements. Later on, with the addition of a few more equipment such as the availability of Solar panels, it will be possible for you to build a Net Zero home, which means your house is essentially powered by the energy created by its eco-friendly components.
2. Durable - Durability and energy efficiency are the cornerstones of sustainability which is why you are expected to spend less money on maintenance over time, due to the use of long-lasting, recycled materials and sustainable design in features.
3. Reduced Carbon Footprint - Sustainable homes utilise renewable resources that can help lighten your ecological footprint, even more so when combined with reducing overall energy usage when possible. Since the house is built with the intention of reducing energy and water consumption, sustainable homes reduce emissions that impact climate change.
4. Increased Property Value - Since a lot of people are being more environmentally conscious about their decisions, homeowners consider eco-friendly houses as ‘must-haves’ which is why they are selling much faster with higher resale value than their counterparts.
5. Healthier and Happier Living - With its organic and lasting components, your sustainable house will have a positive impact on your family's health. The improved heating, ventilation, insulation will also contribute to reducing risks and symptoms of different diseases.
6. Dynamic designs - Contrary to what some people believe, sustainable homes designs are flexible. Although generally the design needs to maximise occupants' well-being and minimise the environmental load, a trusted sustainable building partner can make this particular dream come true, so you can experience the benefits of your own sustainable home.
When the Integrity New Homes designers were working on the Lakeview designs, they wanted a contemporary series of homes which reduced the amount of dead space in hallways and difficult to furnish areas, while maximising views to the rear and also capturing scenery to the front. A considered design approach means the home works well on steep as well as flat blocks.
By adopting the principle that less is more, the design team has created airy open spaces with few separating walls and almost totally removing any “dead” space. There is an easy flow from the Dining, Kitchen and Lounge and outdoors to the Alfresco and Balcony.
Downstairs there are three-Bedrooms along with a Bathroom, WC and Laundry. This home offers very strong street appeal and combines architectural flair with project home practicalities. A version of the Lakeview was a largely frequented display home in Brisbane for many years and continues to be a popular choice for flat or steep and challenging sites.
The Charlton 350 is a reinterpretation of the classic rural homestead but designed to be suitable for either flat or steep and challenging sites.
When building on steep and challenging blocks, the double Garage is placed underneath the upper floor and is intended to be side loading, and when building on flat blocks, the double Garage can be detached from the home and made freestanding or removed and replaced with a separate shed elsewhere on the block.
An enormous Verandah sits across the entire frontage of the home and partly returns down both sides, while at the back a unique hexagonal Alfresco provides outdoor living off the Dining, Family and Kitchen. The Sitting and Lounge lead off the Entry and adjoin Bed 1, which includes an Ensuite and Walk-In-Robe (WIR).
The other three-Bedrooms, Study, Laundry, Bathroom and WC are part of a separate module accessed through a closeable door.
The use of multiple roof lines and timber trims to the SubFloor, and Porch gives the home a very polished acreage style appearance.
Integrity New Homes has forged a reputation for creative design solutions on steep and challenging blocks – designs which are liveable yet stylish and maximising natural topography.
This innovative style is very much evident in the Grasstree 265 and Grasstree 290. The lower floor of the Grasstree 265 includes two-Bedrooms with Bathroom, separate WC, Laundry, Rumpus and large wrap-around Patio. The Grasstree 290 has a slightly different configuration with three-Bedrooms, but excludes the Rumpus. An internal staircase provides access from the lower floor to the upper floor, which is similar for both homes.
The upper floor has the Bed 1 and Study wing offset and angled from the rest of the upper floor rooms and includes an Ensuite and Walk-In-Robe (WIR).
The Dining, Lounge and Kitchen are placed at the back and open onto the side and rear Alfresco. The Powder and double Garage complete the upper floor areas while the Grasstree 290 also includes an impressive Media with double cavity sliding doors.
The Whitsunday 330 is a very appealing home which is functional with a combination single-storey and double-storey footprint, offering the potential to maximise breathtaking views at the side and rear.
In bald terms, it is a two-storey four-Bedroom home with the lower floor Lounge, Dining and Kitchen opening onto a massive wraparound Alfresco and Verandah.
The lower floor areas also contain Kitchen, Walk-InPantry (WIP), Dining, Lounge, Bed 2, Bed 3, Bed 4, Laundry, Bathroom, Powder and a second Ensuite servicing Bed 3 and Bed 4 which is ideal for teenagers or guests.
The upper floor is the ultimate parent’s space with a Retreat with Study Nook, Bed 1 with feature double doors, Walk-In-Robe (WIR), spacious Ensuite with large double bowl vanity, freestanding bath (yes, a second bath in the Ensuite!), enclosed WC and covered Balcony.
Download our FREE eBook here for hundreds of done for you designs, that can be modified to suit your lifestyle, your budget and your block of land
Perhaps the most popular sustainable construction technique is the use of renewable building materials that are sourced from renewable sources and are also recyclable when the building has reached its lifespan. This process can be quite a challenge that is why it is highly recommended to work with the right builder to ensure a smooth and enjoyable construction process.
You will need a builder that is not only efficient and trusted but the one who can rise to the challenge.
Integrity New Homes Gloucester is proud to bring the quality and sophistication of our designs and builds to the design flair of an architect but with the systems, service and price benefits of a volume builder, providing cost effective solutions for all home buyers. With the business director in control of your build and a team of highly skilled trades we make your build from initial concept through to project completion a pleasant and memorable experience. It is our mission to provide you with premium quality sustainable houses that will not only withstand the test of time but will also allow you to enjoy the benefits that come from doing your part in creating a sustainable future for our planet and global economy for the next generation.